Sunday, May 11, 2014

EBS/OVS-- Oracle VM Server 3.2.8 installation & Importing EBS 12.2 Templates --"ova/assembly"

Oracle VM Server 3 is the latest version of Oracle Virtualization Technology. It is in the same track as ESX, as you can use Oracle VM to create several virtual machines and run them on a single Server, using the hypervisor technology.


Oracle VM Server 3 OS is available for X86 and Sparc , and it uses the power of Xen in Linux.(LDOMs in Sparc) It has intergrated management tools for the administors.. In this context, Oracle VM Manager is  a mandatory tool to ease the management of Oracle VM Server.. It has a powerful web interface based on Oracle 's new Weblogic application server, and its database tier is formed on mysqlserver.


I know that ESX is more common in a sense.. On the other hand; as we are working on Oracle , certainly, we need to have the knowledge to deploy and administer such a mission critic server concept supplied by Oracle. In addition , in the new release of Oracle Database Appliance Engineered System , Oracle calls attention to the opportunity of virtualization.. Having abilitiy to use virtualization technology on the new Oracle Systems will make us learn Oracle VM Server  as a matter of fact.. Also, note that having the deep knowledge on this product can save you significant time, as we have important product templates for Oracle VM Server nowadays.. Oracle EBS 12.2 is one of these template that can directly be deployed to Oracle VM Server.
As, I did the installation and upgrade of Oracle EBS 12.2.3 several times. I know that it is an hard job to do, and  if you dont have a fast server , it is really a time consuming process.
So what I try to say is ; using Oracle VM Server templates, you can save some significant time to install your applications ..


Okay lets see, how it works basically;

So to install EBS 12.2.3 using Oracle VM 's templates;
You must;

  • Install Oracle VM Server 3.2.8 
  • Install Oracle VM Manager 3.2.8
  • Download the EBS 12.2.3 templates
  • Import the relevant template in to VM Server-- using VM Manager
  • Create a Virtual Machine from the Template
  • Start the newly created VM which is an EBS machine.
  • Configure the network through the prepared scripts
  • Configure the EBS's db tier through the prepared scripts
  • Configure the EBS's apps tier through the prepared scripts

-> and you are ready to go
No staging, no patching and no upgrades needed .. you will have an EBS 12.2.3 right away, up & running. Okay maybe you need to install localizations and NLS translations :) But anyways it sounds good..

Let me elaborate the Oracle VM EBS template installation process with a real life example.
Actually, I have finished this work few days, ago. My job was a little harder than what I told above.. I needed to install Oracle VM and import an EBS 12.2 assemby(ova file) into it.

Following picture represents the needed work for this to be done.
Note that, I  will be explained all the steps ,later in this post...


So I have started with the installation of Oracle VM Server 3.2.8 firstly.
My server didnt have a DVD/CD drive.. So I needed to boot the server with usb. It was as little challenge..
To format the usb and import the iso into it, I had to use the program called unetbootin and also I created a directory in the usb and put the iso file in to that directory.. This was the most important trick of the installation, as Oracle VM server's installer couldnt find the needed drivers without that directory.. During the installation, when the installer have asked the drivers, I choosed the hard drive and then choosed the usb drive and point that directory for the requested drivers..
So after installing the Oracle VM Server, I had to install Oracle VM Manager to ease the management of it.. There was no Oracle VM Manager 3.2.8 Template on Oracle, that's why I used a Oracle Database Server Template for this job. It was another channel because I downloaded the DB Template, configured and started it using command line..
Note that, in my environment;  to start/stop Vm manager:


Connect the VM Server as root
cd /ovsdata/seed_pool/OVM_OL5U7_X86_64_PVM_10GB ile vm makinanın oldugu yere gidilir.
Xm create vm.cfg  (to control use -> xm list) --this will start the VM Manager's virtual machine..

Stop: /sbin/service ovmm stop ; /sbin/service ovmm_mysql stop  --> this will stop VM manager
Start: /sbin/service ovmm start ; /sbin/service ovmm_mysql start  --> this will start VM manager

I configured my bond devices, add the necessary vm disk to the Vm machine template and started  it using xm utility.
By the way; the method for add a vm disk manually;

dd if=/dev/zero of=vmmgrdisk1.img bs=4M count=4096
chmod 777 vmmgrdisk1.img
ls -lrt
vi vm.cfg -> write the new disk into this config file using a comma..For EX:
disk = ['file:/OVS/seed_pool/OVM_OL5U7_X86_64_PVM_10GB/System.img,xvda,w',
'file:/OVS/seed_pool/OVM_OL5U7_X86_64_PVM_10GB/vmmgrdisk1.img,xvdb,w']
So after starting the VM machine, which would be used for the VM Manager installation.
I downloaded VM Manager 3.2.8, and installed it on the newly created VM server. The installation was easy.

After installing the VM manager, the weblogic was up and running, so I connect to the vm console.. I have created my server pool without a problem but could not create my repository... Creating the repository was another challenge, because I had only one disk.. (one raid 5 consists of 5 disks)
I had a disk named  /dev/sda and partitions named /dev/sda1,/dev/sda2. /dev/sda1 was containing the Os and VM Manager installations, and the /dev/sda2 was an empty partition.. I had planned to create the repository on this sda2 device, but Oracle VM didnt accept it.. Later it have turned out that, Oracle VM doesnt accept a partition.. It wants to have a completely free disk to create its repository..
So forcedly, I created a NFS share in my NAS device and configured/declared it as a VM storage through my VM Manager.. After that , I could create my VM repository on this NFS share..
At this point; everyting have seemed okay,  my plan was to import the EBS assembly/ova file in to the VM server using VM Manager.. So I copied to it to the local filesystem, and have used the import assembly feature of VM Manager but another suprise was waiting for me ,as I have realized that the VM manager was only accepting an http or ftp protocols for importing the assemby.. So I installed Microsoft IIS (web server) to a PC on the network, and configured mime types for ova file, and using this IIS I have made Vm Manager to import the ova file in to Oracle VM Server.
After Importing the assembly, I have created a  template from it. It was a time consuming activity.
So after creating the template, I have created a VM from that template.. It was another time consuming activity , as my repository was on NFS.
At this point , my EBS VM server was created and it was ready to go. So after I have created a NIC for it, I started my EBS VM server using Oracle VM Manager..
So my job was finished.. My EBS template have become a VM server running on Oracle VM Server 3.2.8..

My environment have become something like pciture below;


As, this was an ova file, it was a used template. This means someone could configure it already for his/her enviroment.. At least , in my case,  it was like that..
So normally, when you boot Oracle EBS template, it makes you configure the network, the database and the application tier, automatically.. But once it is configured, it doesnt ask you to configure it again.. So I needed to run the needed scripts manually, and configure my environment..
I have used the following scripts:

configure the network interface (/u01/install/scripts/configdhcp.sh or configstatic.sh)
configure the database tier (/u01/install/VISION/scripts/visiondbconfig.sh)
configure the apps tier (/u01/install/VISION/scripts/visionappsconfig.sh)
Lastly, I will share the EBS template scripts and their descriptions...(just in case)

The scripts to manage the Oracle E-Business Suite VISION instance are:

SCRIPTS BASE_DIR         :  /u01/install/VISION/scripts/
START SCRIPT             : /u01/install/VISION/scripts/startvisiondb.sh
STOP SCRIPT              : /u01/install/VISION/scripts/stopvisiondb.sh
DB VM RECONFIG SCRIPT    : /u01/install/VISION/scripts/visiondbconfig.sh
DB VM CLEANUP SCRIPT     : /u01/install/VISION/scripts/visiondbcleanup.sh

The scripts to manage the Oracle E-Business Suite PROD instance are:

SCRIPTS BASE_DIR          :  /u01/install/PROD/scripts/
START SCRIPT              : /u01/install/PROD/scripts/startproddb.sh
STOP SCRIPT               : /u01/install/PROD/scripts/stopproddb.sh
DB VM RECONFIG SCRIPT     : /u01/install/PROD/scripts/prodbconfig.sh
DB VM CLEANUP SCRIPT      : /u01/install/PROD/scripts/proddbcleanup.sh

The scripts to manage the Oracle E-Business Suite application tier instance are:

SCRIPTS BASE_DIR                      : /u01/install/APPS/scripts/
START SCRIPT                          : /u01/install/APPS/scripts/startapps.sh
STOP SCRIPT                           : /u01/install/APPS/scripts/stopapps.sh
APPS VM RECONFIG SCRIPT               : /u01/install/APPS/scripts/appsconfig.sh
APPS VM CLEANUP SCRIPT                : /u01/install/APPS/scripts/appscleanup.sh
CONFIGURE A NEW WEB ENTRY POINT       : /u01/install/scripts/configwebentry.sh

The scripts to manage the Oracle E-Business Suite single node Vision installation are:

SCRIPTS BASE_DIR                      : /u01/install/VISION/scripts/
START SCRIPT FOR DB                   : /u01/install/VISION/scripts/startvisiondb.sh
STOP SCRIPT FOR DB                    : /u01/install/VISION/scripts/stopvisiondb.sh
START SCRIPT FOR APPS                 : /u01/install/VISION/scripts/startvisionapps.sh
STOP SCRIPT FOR APPS                  : /u01/install/VISION/scripts/stopvisionapps.sh
DB RE-CONFIG SCRIPT                   : /u01/install/VISION/scripts/visiondbconfig.sh
APPS RE-CONFIG SCRIPT                 : /u01/install/VISION/scripts/visionappsconfig.sh
DB CLEANUP SCRIPT                     : /u01/install/VISION/scripts/visiondbcleanup.sh
APPS CLEANUP SCRIPT                   : /u01/install/VISION/scripts/visionappscleanup.sh
CONFIGURE A NEW WEB ENTRY POINT       : /u01/install/scripts/configwebentry.sh

The scripts to reconfigure the network for the virtual machines are:

SCRIPTS BASE_DIR            :  /u01/install/scripts
CONFIGURE DHCP              :  /u01/install/scripts/configdhcp.sh
CONFIGURE STATIC IP         :  /u01/install/scripts/configstatic.sh
SCRIPT TO CLEANUP VM        :  /u01/install/scripts/cleanup.sh

After configuring the EBS environment , your EBS 12.2.3 box is ready to use..
You can apply localization patches and nls translations any time .. In the new EBS instances, this kind of operations can be done online..


   Okay, that 's all for now. I hope you'll find it useful. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

No comments :

Post a Comment

If you will ask a question, please don't comment here..

For your questions, please create an issue into my forum.

Forum Link: http://ermanarslan.blogspot.com.tr/p/forum.html

Register and create an issue in the related category.
I will support you from there.